The President, Sheikh Khalifa, declared 2019 the Year of Tolerance, highlighting the UAE as a global capital for acceptance through its legislative and policy goals to ensure the safety, stability and happiness of peoples from across the world living in the UAE.
- Tolerance in community: The first pillar aims to promote the values of tolerance within family members, and to consolidate them among different cultures, activating the role of UAE community centres across the country to promote tolerant, cohesive societies.
- Tolerance in education: This pillar’s objective is to solidify teachings behind the values of tolerance within the education systems – across schools and universities – within the country.
- Tolerance at the workplace: The third pillar’s focus is on creating a safe, tolerant, and cohesive workplace across public and private sector institutions and organisations, via educational progammes highlighting equal opportunities for all.
- Tolerance and culture: The promotion of cultural tolerance is the main objective, via the launch of various events and programmes celebrating more than 200 nationalities residing in the country, and enhancing interactions between them through the arts and culture sector.
- UAE model of tolerance: This pillar seeks to solidify the UAE as the global capital for tolerance, via a series of initiatives and projects specialised in tolerance and dialogue between various cultures and civilisations.
- Tolerance in legislation: The sixth pillar will see the Supreme National Committee for Tolerance work on developing policy, legislation and executive regulations guaranteeing the sustainability of values and lessons behind tolerance, dialogue, and cohesion among cultures, including a law on multiculturalism.
- Tolerance in the media: The media is one of the most important axes in disseminating tolerance and coexistence values via targeted media campaigns and projects, as well as promoting the UAE model of tolerance across media channels and social networking sites.
Leaders took to social media to announce the move, following on from the Year of Zayed in 2018 and the Year of Giving in 2017.
The announcement came days after it was revealed Pope Francis will visit Abu Dhabi in February, a sign that the UAE is welcoming and tolerant of all religions.
The visit will be marked with a Mass at Zayed Sports City on February 5, where more than 100,000 people are expected to attend.
Pope Francis will also visit Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque and the Founder’s Memorial.
In November, a World Tolerance Summit in Dubai attracted regional leaders and national figures.
This year, the UAE announced it will be a global co-ordinator for co-operation within a new Global Tolerance Alliance to promote acceptance around the world, with the aim of solidifying the international role that the country plays as the capital of co-existence and meeting of civilisations.
What do you think about this move? Please give your feedback in comments section below.
- Treasure hunting in the laps of Ras Al Khaimah’s Nature
- Win a Friday Pool Brunch for two: Participate Now
- Friday Pool Brunch Party at Bin Majid Acacia Hotel
- Holidays declared for 2019-2020 in the UAE for public and private sectors
- Oman has announced new tourist visa rules for UAE residents
You might also like
More from News
WOW RAK Calendar lists all exciting things to do, events, parties, activities, promotions, offers, happenings in Ras Al Khaimah. Explore …
WOW-RAK Members: Redeem Local Offers in Ras Al Khaimah Being wow-rak member has now more perks. Apart from news, updates, events …
The UAE cabinet has approved unified national holidays in the year 2019 and 2020 for public and private sectors. All …
The Gulf and Indian Ocean Hotel Investors’ Summit in partnership with Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority today announced that …