Overnight Camping & BBQ at the top of Jebel Jais Mountains
Ras Al Khaimah is renowned for its many beautiful camping spots, where people can enjoy picnics and barbeques, away from the hustle and bustle of major city centres. When the UAE welcomes the much sought after, colder winter weather, people from all over the country are looking for the best spots to set up their tents, or just lay down their mats to enjoy the magnificent scenery. When it comes to having a good outdoor time with your friends and family, Jebel Jais Camping is the top choice for residents and tourists alike.
Table of contents
- Overnight Camping & BBQ at the top of Jebel Jais Mountains
- About Jebel Jais Mountain Ras Al Khaimah
- Jebel Jais Location
- Weather at Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah
- How to reach Jebel Jais from Dubai?
- Camping on Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah
- Jebel Jais Camping sites
- Facilities available at Jebel Jais for campers
- Things to pack for Camping
- Read this before visiting Jebel Al Jais Ras Al Khaimah
- More details related to Jebel Al Jais
Get yourself prepared for one groovy camping in beautiful Jebel Jais Mountains of Ras Al Khaimah.
About Jebel Jais Mountain Ras Al Khaimah
Home to the tallest mountain in the UAE – Jebel Jais – Ras Al Khaimah offers a mountain experience like no other. The spectacular Hajar Mountains in the eastern part of the emirate were formed over 70 million years ago and stand nearly 2,000 metres above sea level.
In the eastern part of Ras Al Khaimah is a spectacular mountain range called the Ru’us Al Jibal. These mountains were formed more than 70 million years ago. Jebel Jais at 1,934m is not only the highest peak in Ras Al Khaimah but in the entire UAE. A key feature of the mountains is the abundance of wadis and hiking and mountain bike trails.
Ras Al Khaimah’s Jebel Jais, at 1,934 metres tall, usually records temperatures that are 10°C cooler on average than other popular landmarks across the country. During summer months, temperatures at all the major landmarks across the emirates average between 43 – 45°C, – at the Jebel Jais summit, temperatures reached a moderate 31°C during the daytime and 29 °C during the late afternoon.
Jebel Jais Location
The Jebel Jais peak is located in the Hajar Mountains towards the northern side of Ras Al Khaimah.
If you are driving yourself, on Google maps search for “Jebel Jais Viewing Deck Park” or exact plus code W4QJ+3G Ras Al-Khaimah, Ras al Khaimah
Do not search for only Jebel Jais or Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah, as it might lead you to a way via Oman. This is some misrepresentation on google maps and authorities are working on rectifying it.
You can always use this map below
Weather at Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah
The UAE’s highest peak, Jebel Jais is part of the spectacular Hajar mountains that were formed over 70 million years ago in the eastern part of Ras Al Khaimah, United Arab Emirates and Oman. Towering at 1,934 m above sea level, Jebel Jais boasts breath-taking vistas, thrilling adventures, and a welcome respite from the heat with temperatures around ten degrees cooler than sea level.
Ras Al Khaimah’s Jebel Jais, at 1,934 metres tall, usually records weather temperatures that are 10°C cooler on average than other popular landmarks across the country.
How to reach Jebel Jais from Dubai?
Jebel Jais is the highest mountain in UAE and has the best view on top. Road is very smooth and well platform you won’t need an SUV or 4X4 cars to reach there.
Private or Rent a Car
The mountain range of Ras Al-Khaimah is around 60 km away from Ras Al Khaimah City Center, making driving a viable option for travellers and locals alike.
Taxis are easily available in most parts of Ras Al Khaimah, as well as other emirates of United Arab Emirates. Al Hamra taxis are cream-coloured and licensed by the Government. All taxis are use meters, are air-conditioned, and comfortable. You can book a taxi within Ras Al Khaimah by simply calling Al Hamra taxi services at 8001700. All taxi drivers speak English. Dubai is approximately 256.5 km by road from Jebel Jais and a taxi could be an option for visitors.
If a private car is not an option, you could always use a combination of the metro, bus and taxi to reach Jebel Jais. Visitors from Dubai can get onboard the Red Line at the Nakheel Metro Station and get off at the Dubai Deira Terminal. Hop onto buses C-19, C19, or C26 to travel to the nearest stop (Ras al Khaimah Bus Station) and take a taxi from there.
Public Bus Transport
Several bus services are available for visitors from Dubai. Bus 17, C-19 and C-26 are the main buses that run to Ras al Khaimah bus station from Dubai. These buses cost around 20 to 25 AED and could take up to 2 hours. Visitors can take an hour-long taxi from the RAK bus station.
There are regular shuttle buses from Ras Al Khaimah City, Al Hamra area and Al Marjan Island to Jebel Jais daily for a fee of around 20 AED. These shuttles are offered by the Ras Al Khaimah Tourism Development Authority (RAKTDA). Visitors can buy tickets on the bus or book them online at Visit Jebel Jais.
Camping on Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah
Jebel Jais Ras Al Khaimah is also one the best camping spots in the UAE. There are several areas along the route of the mountain that are great for pitching a tent and setting up a barbecue.
Camping is a popular weekend pastime for many in the UAE, especially in Ras Al Khaimah where temperatures are cooler. But, before going on a camping trip at Jebel Jais for a weekend getaway with family and friends, it is important to make a checklist of all the essentials you may need, as well as ensuring that all the camping equipment meets safety standards. But the to-do-list does not stop there and once you hit base, it is vital to take all the necessary safety precautions to ensure you have a safe camping trip.
Many campers stay the night just to catch a glimpse of the rising sun over the rocky mountain. Just keep in mind that bonfires should be made in fire pits and barbecues must be done on a grill or you could get finned.
Option 1: Do an evening camp, spend some time with family and friends and come back late at night. Enjoy the sunset views, prepare some BBQs, do stargazing and return home without compromising sleep on your luxury bed.
Option 2: Spend one night on top of Jebel Jais and enjoy the “sun-kiss-mountain” dawn and dusk view, BBQ, star gazing and have late-night chatting on interesting topics…maybe someone has some horror story to tell.
Jebel Jais Camping sites
One the way to Jebel Jais there are many options for campsites depending on your preference and camping experience. For first timers there are 3 dedicated campsites established by government. These sites have plain ground, parking, toilets, shades and clear rules.
If you are an expert camper, there are literally unlimited areas with best views to camp. you can park your car and camp just at the foot of mountain, or drive all the way up and find a serene place to spend the night under the stars.
Facilities available at Jebel Jais for campers
For advanced campers, there are many places on the way to the top to set up camping tent and barbeque. For newcomers, however, there are 3 special campsites set up by authorities. These sites are levelled for convenience and have the following facilities:
- Free Parking available
- An open structure created for shade
- Separate toilets for male and female
- Easy access to some shops and cafe (near viewing deck)
Things to pack for Camping
For those who haven’t been in camping before you will need to put the following on top of your checklist:
1. Moderate size tent for 2 (200x150x110) cm or smaller, you can buy it from any hyper market, ACE, or souq.com
2. Blanket, pillow, towel, slippers and comfortable shoes.
3. Extra set of clothes
4. Wet wipes
5. Power supplies (Power bank, batteries, etc.)
7. Water and beverages
8. Moderate size mat…..or fold up chair (optional)
9. Utensils (disposable plates, spoons, forks, knives and cups)
You can also bring:
1. Sleeping bag
3. Barbeque equipment for those who want to grill
4. First Aid Kit
For details on outdoor camping checklist, click here
Read this before visiting Jebel Al Jais Ras Al Khaimah
- As Jebel Jais has become a popular spot for camping, it attracts a lot of visitors during holidays and weekends. If you wish to avoid crowd, enjoy your camping here off-peak times.
- The drive from Dubai to the Jebel Jais mountain in RAK takes approximately 1 to 1.5 hrs.
- There are no fuel or gas stations nearby, so make sure you have plenty to return back
- The Jebel Jais weather is 10 degrees colder than the normal ground temperature. So make sure to carry something to keep yourself warm especially in winter.
- Entry to Jebel Jais is Free.
- There are no lights at the camping site
- The terrain is coarse and hilly, so make sure to have closed, sports shoes.
- Facilities such as parking spots, restaurants and washrooms are present at the viewing deck, zip line and Via Ferrata.
- If you plan to barbecue or go camping at Jebal Jais make sure to carry all the necessary equipment like coal and lighter fluid as you won’t find supermarkets there.
- Bring your professional cameras for shooting nice photos
More details related to Jebel Al Jais
To cuck out further news and updates about Jebel Al Jais Ras Al Khaimah click here
November 9, 2018 at 8:46 am
i been informed this event cancelled in the same day of event,, not professional and disappointed,,