RAK Municipality has launched an emirate-wide consumer campaign encouraging residents to adopt energy and water efficient lifestyles.
As part of the awareness initiative of the strategy, residents are asked to take part in a social media competition to contribute to a more sustainable future and greener UAE.
The Ras Al Khaimah Energy Efficiency & Renewable Strategy 2040 has been established to support competitiveness of the RAK economy by reducing the energy bill, through lower consumption and a higher share of renewable energy in the generation mix.
The campaign will release a series of short videos on energy and water saving actions on the Municipality’s social media accounts and will direct the viewers to visit the website for more tips on how to make their homes more efficient.
- Using table lamps rather than turning on the lights for the whole room
- Growing native plants in the garden, which need minimal or no irrigation
- Using a dishwasher instead of hand-washing dishes
- Turning the electrical sockets off when equipment is not in use
- Turning off the flowing water in taps while brushing teeth
- Reduce electricity usage by sealing air leaks and using energy efficient products
- Save money on energy bills by setting AC thermostats at 24°C
The competition is open only for Ras Al Khaimah residents and will run for three months encouraging them to share a photo or video of an energy or water saving action using the hashtag, #EnergyInYourHands.
Ras Al Khaimah Energy Efficiency & Renewables Strategy 2040 targets 30 per cent energy savings, 20 per cent water savings, and 20 per cent generation from renewable energy sources by 2040.