Ras Al Khaimah tightens restrictions on the irresponsible jet ski use
Anyone found using a jet ski recklessly or in a prohibited area will immediately be handed a fine of AED500. Jet skis are also prohibited of coming more than 180 meters of the shore.
The move is part of a drive to regulate their use in the emirate, and clampdown on irresponsible users. All fines will be doubled if someone is found in breach of the law within a year.
This is the first time that such laws have been introduced in the emirate.
Previously, Ras Al Khaimah has had issues with jet ski users breaking the summer ban on their usage – a measure to protect marine life in the city’s creeks.
Jet skis can be a lot of fun, however reckless users have annoyed various communities across the UAE over the years. Be if from the noise made from driving too close to the shore, to causing larger ships to come to a standstill to major accidents.
UAE authorities have taken major action to regulate jet ski usage in the emirates, and new regulations in RAK are a part of that.
List of fines
• Driving jet skis outside the specified maritime areas.
• Driving jet skis recklessly. Jet ski will also be impounded for two weeks.
• Driving in prohibited areas. Jet ski will also be impounded for one weeks.
• Driving jet ski without a licence. Jet ski will also be impounded for two weeks.
• Driving or attempting to drive jet ski under the influence of alcohol or narcotics. Jet ski will also be impounded for one week.
• Not complying with the specified time.
• Exceeding jet ski capacity.
• Using a jet ski for purposes other than those for which it is intended.
• Driving a jet ski with a registered licence expired for more than a month.
• Not wearing a life jacket.
• Driver of the jet ski is under legal age or not escorted by a companion.
• Non-compliance with the instructions.
• Any other breach of the law.