Careem is launching in RAK, Check out RTA’s 5-year Strategic plan
Ride-hailing firm Careem is to launch in Ras Al Khaimah for the first time as part of a major drive to boost transport links in the emirate.
Electric scooters, new bus stations and additional routes and Abra tours will be rolled out under an ambitious 5-year strategic plan.
Currently RTA RAK is finalising an agreement with Careem smart booking to provide e-hailing services to book taxi and limousine in the emirate.
Residents and visitors will enjoy smart integrated transport services that will boost quality of life, bring happiness and promote sustainability.
Three-hundred electric scooters deployed in Q1 2020
The e-scooters for leisure purposes during the initial trial, will be available in Marjan Island, Mina Al Arab, Corniche Al Qawasim, Manar Mall, the Ritz Carlton Al Wadi Desert Hotel and Hilton Garden Inn Hotel in RAK city.
The scooters will come with high safety standards by two companies, Circ and Arnab, through a self-service rental scheme to customers above 18
The 6 months pilot run restricts scooter speed to 20 to 25 kph.
120 scooters are currently available at Corniche Al Qawasim and the rest to be deployed in other locations next week.
What you must know about the Careem App
- Customers will need to open an account with one of the two apps in order to operate the scooter. They will pay Dh3 to unlock the scooter and Dh1 per minute of use.
- The Dh3 charge will be waived for monthly app subscribers and they pay a reduced 50 fils per minute.
- As part of the strategy, three new bus stations and 30 new bus stops will be operational.
- Smart meters and cameras will be fitted in the Taxis
- Bus routes and the best bus stop points will be active in the Q2 2020
- Al Nakheel main bus station will upgrade and three central bus stations will be constructed at Shaam, Al Hamra and RAK International Airport,
- The new public bus fees may not exceed Dh4
- People will also be able to board traditional Abra vessels docked at venues such as Manar Mall and Al Mairid.
Plans are also in the pipeline for new bus services linking Ras Al Khaimah and Fujairah.
Residents welcomed the new transport service plans, which they believe will make the emirate more connected and accessible.